Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
3 large sweet potatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons Empire Kosher Rendered Chicken Fat (divided)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3 ½ cups turkey broth (divided)
½ teaspoon rosemary
½ teaspoon sage
½ teaspoon thyme
1 box (6 ounces) peas
1 (1 lb.) package Empire Kosher® Ground Turkey
½ cup crushed walnuts
¼ cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF
2. Poke holes in sweet potatoes and microwave each on high for 6 minutes, flipping potatoes over half way through cooking
3. Meanwhile, in an oven proof skillet, heat two tablespoons of rendered chicken fat on medium high heat. Add ground turkey and brown until cooked through.
4. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Add 2 more tablespoons of chicken fat and two tablespoons of flour to vegetables. Stir and cook the flour for a minute and then slowly add 3 cups of chicken broth.
6. Add rosemary, sage and thyme. Cook for three minutes to thicken.
7. Stir in turkey and peas and turn off heat.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Peel potatoes and mash in a mixer until smooth with ½ cup of broth Season to taste with salt and pepper.
10. Spread potatoes in an even layer over the meat mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts and brown sugar.
11. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until bubbly.