Turkey Kibbeh with Caramelized Onions, Plums, and Pomegranate
1 box (5.25 oz) tabouleh mix (Near East is a popular brand)
1 package (1 lb.) Empire Kosher® Ground Turkey
Salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Extra virgin olive oil (for brushing over meatballs)
2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil (plus more for brushing over meatballs)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dried plums (prunes), chopped into ¼ inch pieces
2-3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses plus some extra for drizzling
1. Pour the tabouleh mix into a bowl and add 1 cup water. Soak for 20 minutes. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
2. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Place ground turkey in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, mint, and garlic and blend well.
4. After the tabouleh mix has soaked in the water for 20 minutes, strain excess water. Add tabouleh to ground turkey mixture and combine.
5. Shape 1-inch meat balls and place on a baking sheet. Brush meatballs with olive oil.
6. Bake 12-15 minutes, checking for doneness with a meat thermometer (should be 170ºF)
7. While the meatballs are in the oven, make the topping.
8. Heat oil in a skillet to medium heat. Add onions with a dash of salt and pepper.
9. Cook and stir occasionally over medium heat until onions are nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
10. Add the walnuts and reduce temperature to medium-low and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
11. Add plums and continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
12. Add water, mustard and pomegranate molasses and stir.
13. To plate the Kibbeh, place the meatballs on a serving plate. Top with onion mixture and drizzle with pomegranate molasses around the outside of the serving place (Be careful with the pomegranate molasses! It is a strong flavor).