2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas, cut into half inch strips
2 Empire Kosher split chicken breasts, skin removed
8 cups chicken broth
2 white onions, one quartered and the other diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled
10 sprigs fresh cilantro
1 sprig fresh oregano
1½ teaspoon Kosher salt
2 tomatoes, quartered
½ jalapeno chile
1 chipotle chile in adobo, and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 red pepper, chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 oz) bag frozen corn
*Garnish with avocado, lime and cilantro if desired
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Place tortillas strips on baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Toss to coat evenly. Spread tortilla strips evenly on pan.
3. Bake about 15 minutes until strips are crispy and brown, tossing halfway through baking. Season with salt after removing from oven.
4. Meanwhile, place chicken, broth, 2 onion quarters, 2 garlic cloves, cilantro, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
6. Remove chicken and strain the broth.
7. Allow chicken to cool and shred into pieces.
8. In a food processor, puree tomatoes, remaining 2 onion quarters, 2 garlic cloves, jalapeno, chipotle chile, 1 teaspoon adobe sauce and ½ teaspoon salt.
9. Over medium high heat, preheat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven.
10. Stir in chopped onion and red pepper and sauté until tender.
11. Add the puree and cook for about 10 minutes until puree darkens in color.
12. Add in the broth, beans and corn and simmer for about 15 minutes.
13. Add shredded chicken and if desired, the remaining adobe sauce.
14. Cook until heated through.
15. To serve, place some tortilla strips into individual bowls and spoon soup over top.
16. Garnish with avocado, lime and cilantro if desired.