Thai Chicken Curry Soup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 stalks lemon grass, use bottom 5
inches (tough outer layer removed and sliced)
3 shallots, chopped
8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups chicken broth
2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
½ pound white mushrooms, sliced
1 pound Empire Kosher Boneless Skinless
Chicken Breasts, cut in half lengthwise and cut into ⅛ inch
thick pieces on the bias
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 teaspoons red curry paste
*If desired, soup can be served over
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Stir in lemon grass, shallots, cilantro and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
3. Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Do not brown.
4. Add in chicken broth and 1 can of coconut milk. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Strain broth to remove solids.
6. Rinse out saucepan and over medium heat sauté carrots and red pepper in 1 teaspoon oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
7. Add strained broth back into pan and stir in remaining can of coconut milk, sugar, mushrooms and chicken.
Simmer for about 5 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Stir together lime juice, curry paste, and remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and add mixture into soup.
10. Serve over jasmine rice if desired.