2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium onions, sliced into ½ moon rings
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
3 10oz bags shredded carrots
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1-½ cups dried dates, pitted and quartered
2 cups white wine
⅓ cup honey
8 pieces Empire Kosher Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. Set aside two 9”x13” pans.
3. In a sauté pan on medium heat add oil until it gets hot, then add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt followed by the carrots.
4. Sauté the carrots and onions for several minutes on low until carrots are soft. Add in the cumin and cinnamon, stir. Add in the dates, wine and honey. Mix well and cover and let simmer on low for 10 minutes. This process will plump up the dates and release their flavor.
5. After 10 minutes split the carrot mixture into the 2 prepared pans.
6. Place 4 pieces of chicken into each pan and season with spices.
7. Rub with small amount of oil and drizzle with honey, smearing all over each piece of chicken.
8. Cover each pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
9. After 40 minutes, baste the chicken with the juices in the pan and finish cooking for another 30 minutes uncovered, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Contributed by Naomi Nachman