1 pound russet potatoes
1 pound sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons matzo meal
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
3 teaspoons kosher salt
Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
½ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup Empire Kosher® Rendered Chicken Fat for frying
1. Grate potatoes using a large hole box grater or a food processor.
2. Place the potatoes in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and drain. Using a large spoon, press down the shredded potatoes to remove as much liquid as possible.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, blend together potatoes, egg, matzo meal, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, brown sugar and walnuts.
4. Meanwhile, heat Empire Kosher® Rendered Chicken Fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted fat covers skillet to ¼ inch deep.
5. Measure out about ¼ cup of the potato mixture and squeeze out the excess liquid.
6. Press into a ½ inch thick round and place in the oil.
7. Fry until golden brown for about six minutes, turning over half way through cooking and adding fat as needed.
8. Drain on paper towels.