Hearty Chicken Soup with Cumin
1 Empire Kosher® 8 Piece Cut Up Chicken
2 onions, diced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
10 cups water
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
¾ cup long grain white rice
1 pound green chard or spinach, chopped and stems trimmed
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. To a large pot or Dutch oven, add chicken, onions, red pepper flakes and water. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour.
3. Remove chicken and skim fat.
4. When chicken cools, remove meat from bones and cut into strips.
5. Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt, chickpeas and rice.
6. Simmer on low for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
7. Add greens and chicken and simmer for about 5 minutes until greens are tender.
8. Add cilantro and adjust salt to taste.