1 Empire Kosher 8 Piece Cut Up Chicken
1 tablespoon Empire Kosher Rendered Chicken Fat
Salt, pepper to taste
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup pomegranate juice (all natural unsweetened cranberry juice is also good)
¼ cup low salt Kosher chicken broth
1 granny smith apple, cored and diced into ½” pieces
¼ cup honey
1. Pat chicken pieces dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F
3. Heat rendered fat in a Dutch oven or large 12” skillet on medium high heat until smoking.
4. Add 4 chicken pieces to the skillet and brown on both sides for 5 minutes
5. Remove from skillet to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces of chicken.
6. Leaving the juices in the pan, add the garlic and shallots, stirring and browning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Add the pomegranate juice and broth, stir, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
8.Bring to a boil and add apple pieces
9.Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, until the volume is reduced by half.
10. Add honey to the skillet and stir into sauce
11. Place the browned chicken pieces in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate all 8 pieces
12. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through (160°F for white meat and 175°F for dark meat).